Synagogues are the soul of the Ghetto.
Built on the top floor of the pre-existing buildings in the Ghetto Novo are recognized with difficulty outside while inside are little jewels.

The Great German Schola

Built in 1528 the Great German Schola, of Ashkenazi rite, is the first synagogue of the Ghetto. It was restored in late baroc period while in the early Nineteenth some problems of statics caused the moving of the pulpit opposite the ‘Aròn Ha Qòdesh not to charge too much on the floor. The irregular plant of the Great German Schola is made harmonical by an elliptic women’s gallery and by the decorations of the walls covered with “marmorino” and by an inscription, the Ten Commandments, in golden letters with red background running all over the walls of the cultural room.

The Canton Schola

The Canton Synagogue was founded in 1531 / 32 and completely restored in late baroc period. The decoration of the Schola represents an unicum in Europe for the presence of eight wooden panels showing biblical episodes from the book of Exodus as the city of Jericho, the crossing of Red Sea, the altar for the sacrifices, the manna, the Ark on the banks of Jordan river, Qòrach, the gift of Torah and Moses that makes water flow from the rock.

The Italian Schola

The Italian Schola, founded in 1575, is the simplest of the Venetian synagogues; it results, anyway to be the most luminous one, thanks to five wide windows opening on the south side of the square, and the most austere for the lacking of the gleaming tones of the golden leaf decorating the two Ashkenazi synagogues.

The Levantine Schola

The Levantine Schola, founded in 1541, was rebuilt in the second half of 17th century. Even if without documents unequivocally proving that, it is thought that the artists who worked for the restoration were Baldassarre Longhena, whose stylistic models are clearly evident on the façade
and Andrea Brustolon for the important pulpit.

The Spanish Schola

The Spanish Schola, founded about 1580, but rebuilt on the first half of 17th century. The biggest of the Venetian synagogues is of great scenographic impact. People go upstairs in a wide double staircase that leads to a wide cultual room exalted by a very high elliptic women’s gallery.
Always with the by-focus effect, the stylistic grace shows the hand of a wise architect and, as for the Levantine Schola, the thought goes to Longhena, whose stylistic tract can be also read in the smart planning of the l’’Aròn Ha Qòdesh in multicoloured marble.